Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Sunday, March 21, 2010

I am tired, but it is a good tired.

I hear that phrase a lot.  Tonight I know exactly what it means.  I have pretty much devoted this weekend to our oldest son.  He has just moved into his first solo apartment, and since it was unfurnished there was much to be done.  



  Thursday we went shopping.  Husband and I bought many items together, and I made a few trips this weekend on my own.  On Friday I picked up the two chairs you see in the picture from a teacher in my district.  He was getting rid of them, and Jake was the benefactor!  On Saturday I started cooking food to take to the apartment.  On  Saturday evening husband made a trip to my sister's house and picked up shelves, chairs, small tables, and other items that she is loaning to Jake.  I stayed home to continue cooking, and to do our own cleaning and laundry. 

After church today we went to Menard's to pick up some large area rugs, and headed out of town to his apartment. Luckily, we had borrowed Husband's folk's van, because we filled every nook and cranny of it with things to take.   Yippee for me, I was able to clear out a good number of things from our basement to help him out.  

When we arrived I started working in the kitchen.  There were boxes and tubs everywhere, and I thought we would never get done.  Husband started putting together a shelving unit and a microwave cart.  As soon as these were completed, it took no time to empty the boxes and put things away.  The cabinets are older metal cabinets, and really there are not enough for dishes and food, so the metal shelving unit is being used for an open pantry.  

Youngest son got busy putting together a small desk, and I began working in the kitchen. Jake was busy going from one to another helping everyone.  After about an hour the kitchen was shaping up pretty well and I started to put the finishing touches on the food I brought.  I put together some baked beans and put those and the mac and cheese in his small oven.   They practically filled the oven, my pans were really big, and it is an apartment size stove.  

 Three friends had come over to help out, and they got busy putting together a stand up clothing rack/closet and putting CDs on a shelf.  Soon we all sat down to our supper of  Italian Beef, homemade mac and cheese, baked beans, chips, carrots, and dip, plus red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing , and brownies. 

We stayed about another hour and a half unpacking, and doing odds and ends.  After all was said and done, we still made it home by 8:30.  

It really did keep me busy this weekend, but it was a lot of fun, and I think Jake appreciated it.  It sure did help him get settled faster. 

1 comment:

Penny said...

looks like a great place!! dont you just love it when they are doing so well as adults that they can make these major life changes? Makes us so proud of our kids...enjoy, they are so much fun as adults!!!