Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oatmeal Sugar Cookies


(To truly appreciate this picture, you need to click in the middle of it so you can see the "sugary-cinnamony"  goodness.)

I told husband that since I was out of school today that I would make him something special.  These are some of husband's very favorite cookies, but for some reason I forget about them.  They do require the extra steps of rolling into balls and then rolling in cinnamon-sugar, so maybe that is why I neglect making them.

They are very tasty though.  They are not your old fashioned soft and chewy oatmeal cookie. When baked just right they have a slightly crisp sugary outer "shell" and then they give way to a slightly bendable soft inside. The cinnamon-sugar coating sets these apart from most oatmeal cookies.  I think you would enjoy them.  

 There, I took a bite for you.

Husband should hurry home before they are all gone. 

Oatmeal Sugar Cookies

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
Cream together, then add:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
Then add 3 cups quick cooking oats
Mix well, roll into small balls, then roll balls into a sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.  I usually rotate my cookie sheets half way through. Remove immediately to cooling racks.   Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these look yummy, did you use coarse sugar, or raw sugar, or regular granulated sugar? Have you ever put nuts in them also? I like your new background. I like you too.