Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Saturday, June 21, 2008

God is Good~But we Already Know That!

Good news.

Double good news that is.

Yesterday I had my second heart catheterization. They were suspecting a stent failure and went in to check it out. Everything was fine! The stent was working like a charm, nothing else was a problem and I came home later in the day. You have to lay very still for a few hours following this procedure, so I snoozed a lot and waited till time to go home.

What happened between the time of the failed stress test and the good report today? God happened, that is what. You need to know if you do not already, that I take serious the power of prayer. There were many prayers going up for me this week.

I slept well last night for the most part but at 3:00 AM I woke up praying. I actually think I was praying in my sleep because as soon as I realized I was awake I was already praying. What for? For my sister. She had a major test this week and was one that could bring devastating news. I do not want any more devastating news. Today husband and I decided to make the one hour trip to go be with her when she got the news. The doctor said they would call her when they got the report, but that she would have to go into the office to hear the outcome. She has done so much for me these last few weeks and I just felt compelled to be with her. I was feeling fine and it is not a bad trip. After about 20 minutes on the road we got a call on the cell phone. She had heard from the doctor by phone and the news was good! So our trip turned into a time of celebration!

God is indeed good.

Now the tough question.

Would I still proclaim that God is good even if the news had been bad?

I would like to say that I would because I have walked those dark roads before. Actually many times before. I have lived through the deaths of both parents by the time I was 23, lost a brother, a niece, suffered a miscarriage, had a house fire, and walked through the dark days of my mother in law's stroke. The events of recent weeks have been compounded beyond belief. God has held me through all of these times and has taught me that I did not have to go through them alone.

Just like Shadrach, Meshack, and Abednego proclaimed: "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and He will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if He does not, we want you to know , O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." ( Daniel 3: 17-18 NIV) This verse has become one of Husband's very favorite verses. The phrase "even if He does not" comes to mind often when I am praying for something that I am sure I know the answer for. When I let God be God, I always win.

I knew that God was able to answer my prayers how I wanted, but even if He did not, I would still love and serve Him, because He has shown me He would see me through anything.

3 comments:

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

Yes, God is good. Your faith is inspiring. Praise His name always!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear your good news..Thank You Almighty for prayers answered..YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Please take care of yourself..Know you are thought of and loved all the way to the Pacific Northwest..

FarmWife said...

I am so glad to hear both sets of good news! And thank you for the reminder of "even if He does not." We need to keep that in mind.