Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Big Decision

Today's post is actually a copy of a letter which I have written to our choir director. It is from the heart, and I thought that it might be of interest. It is just a revelation that we all have gifts, given from God. We should not try to manufacture one to suit us, but that we should go with the gift He chose.

Choir Director, (names omitted)

At one time you asked us to write, “What I learned in choir”. I am as usual, a bit late. However, in one way, I am writing this at just the right time.

I do want to tell you what I have learned:

• I have learned that one, can in fact sing in the choir with no knowledge of how to read music, and that they will be accepted.

• I have learned that we are not singing to the masses, but that we are singing to an audience of ONE.

• I have learned that while our singing is partially intended to bring others into a state of worship, the biggest benefit for the choir is that it brings US into that state as well.

• I have learned that I am no longer a soprano, and made the switch to the alto section, (which still can seem like a foreign language at times).

• I have learned that when you cannot make the note, DON’T TRY. Just let the sweet sound of silence escape your lips.

• I have also learned the greatest lesson of all: I have learned, after the last 4 years or so, that, while I love the fellowship, I love the music, I love the times of sweet worship, I am truly not finding my best “fit” in choir. And I am okay with that. I have said that I actually, feel like a fish out of water. I truly feel that my gifts are best suited with the student ministry department. I find myself missing the youth while I am struggling to sing each song. Honestly, choir has always been a struggle for me, and while I feel I have improved over the years, and have gained confidence, it is not the best use of what God has given me. It still feels very unnatural. So, what I have learned at this point, is that it is time for me to bow out. Will I will miss it? Absolutely. Will I be tempted to sing along every time you are on stage? Probably. I will just let that sweet, sound of silence escape and sing along in my heart.

Many thanks to you, your husband, and the entire choir for welcoming a novice, for boosting my confidence when I had none, and for being a team which works together to make praise and worship to our Amazing Lord the most important task. I am proud to have been a part of this group.

No comments: