Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Monday, August 11, 2008

News

Today I received a phone call from the endocrinologist, not from her nurse, from her.

The calcitonin level was indeed quite high.

The diagnosis of medullary cancer has been confirmed.

While I feel I had already been given the worse news, I just didn't like it being confirmed. She is canceling my appointment with the surgeon that was set for this Wednesday and wants someone more experienced with this sort of thing instead of a general surgeon. I tend to agree. This surgery will be more involved and more tedious than a "normal" thyrodectomy. She plans on having a surgeon lined up for me by Wednesday and may still send me to Mayo in Minnesota. My insurance will not pay so well there, but we will work that out. As my sister said, that is only money. Again, where is Oprah when you really need her?

I am trying to decide how I feel today about all of this. I do not really know what this feeling is that I am feeling. It seems to be a strange mixture of normally non compatible feelings. I mean, most would wonder how you would feel both uncertainty and determination, both fear and peace, both denial and resolve. I just know that this is what it is and my best energies need to be spent on positive ways to take care of it, not dwelling on negative things.

One thing I know for sure, we have a big God and he has not failed me yet.

1 comment:

Kelly Via said...

Just wanted to let you know that I prayed for you and your family tonight after stumbling across your blog from "Common Sense w/ Money." May God be glorified!