Something to hold on to...

"Today I am one day nearer home than ever before. One day nearer the dawning when the fog will lift, mysteries clear, and all question marks straighten up into exclamation points!
 I shall see the King!"     Vance Havner

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What a day...

I am tired and may fall asleep while posting, but I want to update on with the latest news. Today was a full day for me. First, I had the sterio-tatic breast biopsy. I will not give many details on that, except to say it took two hours and was not fun. I am not sure when I will get the results of that.

At 1:00 I saw an ENT surgeon. Turns out, not only is this guy an ENT surgeon, he is also a head and neck oncologist. That was very reassuring, in that he knows my cancer, and the best treatment. Surgery is set for September 10th. It will be long, about 6 hours. He will totally remove my thyroid, and perform both central and lateral neck dissections. We are taking an aggressive approach because with this particular cancer, surgery is the only defense. It does not respond to chemotherapy, radioactive iodine, and usually not to external beam radiation. The best result is to attack it while it is still in the neck. My CT scan was clear, which is great news. There is no definitive way to know at this point if any lymph nodes are involved. That will not be made known for sure until after surgery. Since we are taking the aggressive approach surgically, hopefully if any are involved, they will soon be gone. I will be in the hospital about 2 days, and will rest at home about 2 weeks before returning to work.

I am very tired tonight. I plan to go to work tomorrow and meet the new class, I was told by the teacher I work with that only 6 students were there today. We may have a smaller class this year, at least for a while. That would be nice.

I am also sore. Frozen peas are nice to have in the freezer, they make a wonderful ice pack.

Good night all.

1 comment:

FarmWife said...

I'm glad to hear your CAT scan was clear & that you've found a surgeon. Now it's on to praying about the surgery!

I love you!